print logo
Main Content Anchor


Filing an Air Quality Complaint

The SacMetro AQMD investigates complaints related to dust, smoke, odors, overspray, and other potential air quality permit and rule violations.  Complaints can be filed online using the form below or by calling the SacMetro AQMD at (916) 874-4800 or (800) 880-9025. 

When filing a complaint, please have the following information ready:

  • A specific description of the problem. Is it an odor, smoke, or dust?
  • The location of the problem including address and cross streets, if known
  • Who is causing the problem, if known?
  • The time the problem occurs, including time of day and frequency
  • The wind direction
  • The duration of the problem

Rendering Plant Complaints 

Sac Metro AQMD is aware that rendering odor is detected in the surrounding areas near the Sacramento Rendering Company (SRC).  Complaints about abnormally high odors assist Sac Metro AQMD enforce permit conditions. To file a complaint about the rendering odor, follow the same procedure as described in the section above. Please include where the odor was detected (i.e., your address, local park name, neighborhood street intersection).

For more information regarding SRC emissions and our jurisdiction, please read the following documents:

    • This presentation contains information regarding the source test results, the Right to Farm Act, SRC production, SRC wastewater flow, and complaint data


Leaf Blower Complaints 

Occasionally SacMetro AQMD receives complaints about leaf blowers.  Leaf blowers usage is regulated by many city ordinances in Sacramento County. You can view SacMetro AQMD's regulatory authority over leaf blowers for more information (click here) 

Complaints for Other Agencies

​Agricultural Burning Complaints

Call the Agricultural Commissioner's office during regular business hours at (916) 875-6603 to submit complaints about agricultural burning. You may also call the SacMetro AQMD to submit these complaints at (916) 874-4800 or (800) 880-9025. Agricultural burning complaints are normally investigated by the Agricultural Commissioner, who reports violations and other findings to the SacMetro AQMD .

Idling Heavy Duty Vehicles

Call the City of Sacramento to report heavy duty vehicles idling in excess of Sacramento City ordinance at 311 (toll free* when calling within city limits) or (916) 264-5011 when calling from outside the City of Sacramento.

*Cellular service providers may charge for air time

Smoking Vehicles

Call the California Air Resources Board to report smoking vehicles at (800) 363-7664 or visit Smoking Vehicle Complaint Program on their website.

​File a Complaint Online

Supporting Form Page
Back to Top