Program Status: This program has ended
The AQMD in partnership with United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), announces the availability of $138,000, to offset the incremental cost to replace old trucks with new, certified medium- and heavy-duty ELECTRIC vehicles. (Hybrid vehicles do not qualify for this funding.)This USEPA grant will offset up to $46,000 of the incremental cost of an electric vehicle, as long as the total contributed cost does not exceed the incremental cost of the vehicle.
This funding will be available until funds are subscribed. The funds will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for fleets purchasing California Air Resources Board approved electric vehicles 14,001 gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or greater.
Your dealership was selected because you have been approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) as a participating dealer for the Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Incentive Program (HVIP). The AQMD is seeking your participation to work with potential electric truck customers to qualify them for electric vehicles and the vehicle replacement process for this USEPA grant.
Please contact your dealership located on at www.californiahvip.org for participating dealerships and qualifying electric vehicles with a GVWR of 14,001 or heavier.
Coordination with the HVIP Program
Qualifying ELECTRIC vehicles and DEALERS must meet the criteria and certification of the HVIP program.
The goal is to accelerate the replacement of older diesel trucks operating within non-attainment areas of California with certified/approved medium- and heavy-duty trucks using electric technology to lower emissions and fuel dependence using a comparable vocation and mileage.
Required Eligibility Requirements
All of the following requirements must be met for an application to be considered complete.
The AQMD will fund fleets that have met the criteria on a first-come, first-served basis. Electric Vehicles Applicants and dealers must meet all HVIP and AQMD requirements based on requirements listed below and on the application and applicant checklist and based on the information listed below.
1. Fleet Owner Eligibility
- Applicant must own the vehicle to be turned in and purchased.
- Applicant must not be on the Excluded Parties List System (EPLS)
- Applicant must complete the application form and provide all required supporting documentation.
2. Application and supplemental forms must be complete
Original signed application documents and supplemental forms must be qualified and submitted to the AQMD through an HVIP qualified dealership. Submittal of the required information does not guarantee that the application will be approved, but is necessary for the review process to be completed. Only completed applications will be considered as qualifying documents, as contained in the applicant checklist: Applications must be submitted through a qualifying HVIP Electric Vehicle Dealership.
3. Qualifying Entities must operate in the non-attainment areas in California
Any fleet that operates within the State of California is eligible to apply for funds as long as the eligibility requirements for the AQMD Heavy Duty Vehicle Replacement and California HVIP programs are met. All vehicles must operate 100 percent in California. A vehicle fleet may request outside of California operation for emergency services.
4. Eligible Vehicles
The Electric Fleet Modernization Program offers grant funding for the replacement of approximately 2-3 existing trucks with new, commercially available, CARB qualifying HVIP electric vehicles.
The eligibility criteria for the existing vehicle to be replaced:
- Vehicles must be CARB certified.
- Must have a manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 14,001 pounds or more.
- Must have a pre-2004 diesel engine.
- Must be salvaged at an AQMD/APCD certified salvage yard as replacement for the new vehicle. Vehicles must be salvaged in accordance with AQMD requirements using a salvage/scrap dealer that has a current, valid, signed master agreement with the AQMD or other air district.
New Electric Vehicle Requirements:
- The vehicle must meet the electric vehicle performance requirements of CARB’s Heavy Duty In-Use Vehicle Regulation found at www.californiahvip.org.
- The vehicle must have a manufacturer’s GVWR of 14,001 pounds or more.
- The vehicle must also meet the qualifications of the SMAQMD Fleet Modernization Program (PDF).
- The vehicle life should be similar to non-electric vehicles. Electric vehicles will have a contractual life of 5 years.
- Vehicles will be required to provide annual mileage usage both in and out of the SFNA.
Vehicle(s) must be delivered by December 31, 2011.
Participation in multiple funding sources:
These funds may be combined with the Hybrid Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project (HVIP) or other local funds, as long as the combined funds do not exceed the incremental cost of the vehicle or conflict with the requirements of the funding source(s). This information must be identified in the Multiple Funds Form (PDF).
Annual Reporting Requirements
Must be reported to the AQMD annually for the five year project life.
How can the fleet owner qualify for the incentive funds?
The AQMD will fund trucks that meet the specified qualifications on a first-come, first-served basis of received applications until funding is no longer available.
To apply, complete the application form and supplemental forms. All required information is listed in the Applicant Checklist (PDF).
All application materials must be delivered to the following address:
Sacramento Metropolitan AQMD
Attn: Electric Vehicle Fleet Modernization Program
777 12th Street, 3rd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
For additional information on the Electric Truck Incentive Replacement Program, please contact Freya Arick at (916) 874-4891 or FArick@airquality.org.