What you can do about greenhouse gas emissions!
Make important personal choices to reduce your GHG emissions
- Don't drive alone - carpool, walk, or take the bus!
- Use the most fuel efficient vehicle you can
- Get a home energy audit. Put recommendations into practice.
- Look for Energy Star appliances
- Reduce energy use in your home: i.e. unplug an unused or limited use freezer.
- Use energy-saving light bulbs and a programmable thermostat
- Choose clean power.
- Reduce household water consumption
- Consume responsibly
- Plant trees
- Let policymakers know you are concerned about Climate Change.
Calculate your "Carbon Footprint"
This is the amount of GHG you produce in units of CO2. Once you have calculated your Carbon Footprint, you can take steps to reduce it and/or offset it. Web sites that offer calculation tools and more suggestions for reducing and offsetting include the following:
- US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works - Global Warming Footprint Calculator
- Take Action - Calculate Your Impact
- Safe Climate Calculator
- Native Energy Calculator
If you get electricity from the Sacramento Metropolitan Utility District, consider joining the Greenergy® program. This program which matches electricity use with renewable electricity sources.